THE MOST COMPLETE
LOCKSMITHING GUIDE YOU CAN FIND
The top reference in the field since 1976, this book is
perfect for everyone from beginners who want to master techniques
step by illustrated step, to pros who need an up-to-date,
comprehensive shop manual.
Whether you want to learn lockpicking or locksmithing, or
choose locks that are virtually impossible to defeat, this classic
will meet your needs.
Great for independent or classroom study, the Sixth Edition
- Complete, illustrated coverage from a master locksmith.
- Techniques and tips for lockpicking and fixing.
- Safe opening and servicing techniques.
- Coverage of electronic and high-security mechanical locks.
- Auto lock opening and servicing how-tos.
- An all-new
Registered Locksmith test.
- How to conduct a home security survey
- Lists of tool and equipment sources
- How to start and run a locksmithing business, or get hired
as a locksmith.
"It's hard to find
technical details on this subject: locksmiths are relatively
close-mouthed about the craft of their trade. Laypeople to
professionals will thus find this a winning reference: it covers
all types of locks and keys from old-fashioned to modern
electromagnetic locks and vending machines, providing the basics
of locksmithing and different system operations." -- Midwest
Book Review, on a previous edition
FOREWORD BY GREG MANGO, EDITOR, THE NATIONAL LOCKSMITH
1. A Short History of the Lock
2. Tools of the Trade
3. Types of Locks and Keys
4. Warded Locks
5. Lever Tumbler Locks
6. Disc Tumbler Locks
7. Pin Tumbler Locks
8. High-Security Mechanical Locks
10. Detention Locks and Hardware
11. Buying and Selling Safes
12. Keyed Padlocks
13. Home and Business Services
14. Lock Picking and Impressioning
15. Servicing Automotive Locks
16. Opening Locked Cars
17. Emergency and Forced Entry Procedures
18. Combination Locks
19. Electrical Access and Exit Control Systems
20. Working as a Locksmith
21. Key Duplicating Machines
22. Test Your Knowledge
23. Making Locks by Hand
24. Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
Appendix A: Manufacturers
Appendix B: Locksmith Suppliers' Profiles and Addresses
Appendix C: Miscellaneous Important Addresses, Phone
Numbers, Web Sites
Appendix D: Locksmithing Schools and Training Programs
Appendix E: Depth and Space Charts
Bill Phillips is president of the International
Association of Home Safety and Security Professionals. He is also
the most successful author of security books ever.
His best-selling The Complete Book of Locks and Locksmithing
(the world’s best-selling locksmithing book)
is currently in its sixth edition. Mr. Phillips also wrote
McGraw-Hill's Locksmithing, part of the Craftmaster series,
The Complete Book of
Electronic Security, and
The Complete Book of Home, Site,
and Office Security, also
He is the author of the "Lock" article in the 1998 to 2006
editions of the World Book Encyclopedia, and has written hundreds
of security-related articles for professional and
general-circulation periodicals, including Keynotes, Home Mechanix
(security editor), Locksmith Ledger International (contributing
editor), Los Angeles Times, Consumers Digest, The National
Locksmith (contributing writer), Safe and Vault Technology,
Security Dealer, and many others.
7-3/8 x 9-1/4