Fire Code (IFC)
International Code Council (ICC)
The IFC contains regulations to
safeguard life and property from fires and explosion hazards.
Topics include general precautions, emergency planning and
preparedness, fire department access and water supplies, automatic
sprinkler systems, fire alarm systems, special hazards, and the
storage and use of hazardous materials.
Key changes to the IFC include:
- New provisions address hazards related to outdoor pallet
storage, higher education laboratories, mobile food trucks and
plant processing and extraction activities.
- Required sprinkler protection of Group E occupancies has
been expanded through the introduction of a new thresholds
related to fire areas.
- Manual fire alarm systems in Group A occupancies are now
required not only when the occupant load is 300 or more but also
where the occupant load exceeds 100 above or below the lowest
level of exit discharge.
- A manual fire alarm system and an automatic smoke detection
system are no longer required in Group R-4 occupancies.
- Mass Notification Requirements for college and university
buildings have been added to the code.
- New provisions require illumination for the exit discharge
path of travel to the public way or to a safe dispersal area for
- Sprinkler protection is now required in existing Group A-2
occupancies having an occupant load of 300 or more where
alcoholic beverages are consumed.
- A new chapter has been added to address issues related to
- Provisions have been added to address the hazards associated
with outdoor assembly events, indoor trade shows and
- The fire watch requirements for construction and demolition
activities have been enhanced.
- The provisions for the maintenance of fire and smoke
protection features in Chapter 7 have been enhanced and
- The applicability of the decorative materials requirements
in Chapter 8 have been clarified.
1. Scope and Administration.
3. General Requirement.
4. Emergency Planning and Preparedness.
5. Fire Service Features.
6. Building Services and Systems.
7. Fire and Smoke Protection Features.
8. Interior Finish, Decorative Materials and Furnishings.
9. Fire Protection and Life Safety Systems.
10. Means of Egress.
11. Construction Requirements for Existing Buildings.
12. Energy Systems.
13. Chapters 13-19 reserved.
20. Aviation Facilities.
21. Dry Cleaning.
22. Combustible Dust-Producing Operations.
23. Motor Fuel-Dispensing Facilities and Repair Garages.
24. Flammable Finishes.
25. Fruit and Crop Ripening.
26. Fumigation and Insecticidal Fogging.
27. Semiconductor Fabrication Facilities.
28. Lumber Years and Agro-Industrial, Solid Biomass and
29. Manufacture of Organic Coatings.
30. Industrial Ovens.
31. Tents, Temporary Special Event Structures and Other Membrane
32. High-Piled Combustible Storage.
33. Fire Safety During Construction and Demolition.
34. Tire Rebuilding and Tire Storage.
35. Welding and Other Hot Work.
37. Combustible Fibers.
38. Higher Education Laboratories.
39. Processing and Extraction Facilities.
50. Hazardous Materials-General Provisions.
53. Compressed Gases.
54. Corrosive Materials.
55. Cryogenic Fluids.
56. Explosives and Fireworks.
57. Flammable and Combustible Liquids.
58. Flammable Gases and Flammable Cryogenic Fluids.
59. Flammable Solids.
60. Highly Toxic and Toxic Materials.
61. Liquefied Petroleum Gases.
62. Organic Peroxides.
63. Oxidizers, Oxidizing Gases and Oxidizing Cryogenic Fluids.
64. Pyrophoric Materials.
65. Pyroxylin (Cellulose Nitrate) Plastics.
66. Unstable (Reactive) Materials.
67. Water-Reactive Solids and Liquids.
80. Referenced Standards.
81. Appendix A: Board of Appeals.
82. Appendix B: Fire-Flow Requirements for Buildings.
83. Appendix C: Fire Hydrant Locations and Distribution.
84. Appendix D: Fire Apparatus and Access Roads.
85. Appendix E: Hazard Categories.
86. Appendix F: Hazard Ranking.
87. Appendix G: Cryogenic Fluids- Weight and Volume Equivalents.
88. Appendix H: Hazardous Materials Management Plan (HMMP) and
Hazardous Materials Inventory Statement (HMIS) Instructions.
89. Appendix I: Fire Protection Systems- Noncompliant
90. Appendix J: Building Information Sign.
91. Appendix K: Construction Requirements for Exiting Ambulatory
92. Appendix L: Requirements for Fire Fighter Air Replenishment
93. Appendix M: High-Rise Buildings- Retroactive Automatic
94. Appendix N: Indoor Trade Shows and Exhibitions.
more Building Code Related