"Stands out from the
crowd as an easy-to-read resource on current, mainstream
technologies as well as those on the horizon"
The skyrocketing demand for clean, abundant energy
has resulted in a need for comprehensive information that can be
used by builders, technicians, energy industry professionals, and
anyone else wanting to learn about alternative forms of energy and
their everyday uses.
With a vast array of information available on the
subject, Alternative Energy: Sources & Systems stands out
from the crowd as an easy-to-read resource on current, mainstream
technologies as well as those on the horizon.
This book bridges the gap between overly simplistic
information and high-level engineering materials. Instead,
Alternative Energy: Sources & Systems serves as a comprehensive
guide that explores solar, wind, and other sources, and the
technology available to harness them.
Readers will gain a better understanding of how
these systems work as well as how they are put together.
- Coverage of all major alternative energy systems, including
solar, geothermal, and wind energy.
- Detailed illustrations and photographs provide a visual
reference for complex concepts.
- Clear, straightforward examples of theory and practical
- Descriptions of cutting-edge technologies and their possible
impact on the energy industry.
Part I: SOLAR ENERGY: HARNESSING THE SUN'S POWER.
1. Introduction to Solar Energy.
2. How Thermal Storage works.
3. Applications for Solar Thermal Storage.
4. How Photovoltaic Panels work.
5. Applications for Photovoltaic Solar Panels.
Part II: WIND ENERGY: SETTING SAIL FOR A NEW POWER ALTERNATIVE.
6. Introduction to Wind Energy.
7. Considerations for Choosing a Wind Turbine.
8. Introduction to Large Scale Turbines.
Part III: GEOTHERMAL: USING THE EARTH TO HEAT AND COOL OUR WORLD.
9. How a Geothermal System Works.
10. Types and Configurations of Geothermal Loops.
11. Proper Sizing Procedures for Geothermal Applications.
12. Installation and Start-up of Geothermal Systems.
Part IV: BIOMASS: UTILIZING WOOD, CORN AND PELLETS AS HEATING
13. Using Biomass as a Heating Source.
14. Applications for Biomass Burners.
Part V: FUTURE ENERGY SOURCES: A LOOK AT FUEL CELLS AND CHP
(COMBINED HEAT AND POWER).
15. How Fuel Cells Work.
16. What is CHP?
About the Author:
Donald Steeby is an Associate Professor of HVAC – Applied
Technology at Grand Rapids Community College.
Green Building, Projects & Technology, Alternative & Renewable
Energy and Efficiency